Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Wicked Traditions of the Fathers

In Mosiah 10:12-17 you can discover the definition of the wicked traditions of the fathers. It is 1) feeling that you were WRONGED and 2) becoming WROTH over it
Isn't this exactly what we have been talking about with our grievance stories? We take offense at something someone has done (feel we were wronged) and then get angry about it and hold on to it for too long. In the Book of Mormon, it goes on for generations.

We have probably all been the recipient of false accusations and condemnation. The 'natural-man' reaction is to feel horribly wronged and then get really angry and possibly lash back at the offender. In the end, what does this really achieve? The offender feels justified in their attack because you are such a 'mean, angry person'. You feel miserable because it is impossible to have the Spirit with you when you are angry and attacking someone (mentally or verbally- because if you are thinking it, it will come out in your words and actions eventually).

President Hinckley lists HONESTY as one of the ten virtues which will heal our hearts and homes: "In our day, those found in dishonesty aren't put to death, but something within them dies. Character withers, self-respect vanishes, integrity dies." Can we keep this in mind and allow others to exercise their agency (to lie if they choose) and just feel pity for them?
He lists FORGIVENESS & MERCY as another virtue: "Hatred always fails and bitterness always destroys" Truly, hatred and bitterness ALWAYS destroys; it destroys our peace, it robs us of the Spirit, it always brings remorse of conscience.

Can we LET IT GO? Yes, you were wronged, but you can CHOOSE to not respond with anger. Choose to let it go; rely on the law of justice / the law of the harvest. My daughter reminds me that "Karma is a witch; what goes around always comes back around". I continually tell myself, "There is always an ultimate reaping of what we sow; Is this what I want to give myself...anger and bitterness? No! I want to receive mercy and forgiveness and kindness so that is what I send out mentally to those who offend me / lie about me / condemn me with their faulty perceptions and judgments.

Another of President Hinckley's virtues is OPTIMISM: "As we go through life, we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort."

We can do it. We must do it. We have suffered enough already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to read this every Sunday until my nature is changed.

Granna said...

Whatever is begun in anger will end in shame. Ben Franklin